Some Unsolicited Advice for Our Elected Officials

Every day, the news will include at least one if not many stories about elected officials doing something that just doesn't look right. There may be a perfectly logical, or exceedingly convoluted explanation for the action or behavior. Yet still, it just doesn't look right, undermining confidence in our leaders, as well as the agencies and mechanisms that are meant to provide oversight of their behavior in the first place. So yesterday it was President Biden, refusing to answer questions about classified documents found in his garage. The previous day it was a member of congress who seems to have used campaign funds for personal use. Some months ago, another elected official was photographed standing particularly close to a woman who was not his wife.

Again, there may be perfectly good explanations for all this. Rabbinic literature is filled with warnings about not jumping to conclusions. But until the blessed day that the Messiah arrives, (may He come speedily in our time!) and the lion truly lies alongside the lamb people are nonetheless going to form their own opinions when they see what would otherwise look like unusual behavior. So those in public service must not only act in accordance with the high standards and dignity of their office, but take the extra step of living and acting in such a way that avoids even the appearance of impropriety.

I have thought about this a great deal in my career, as so many examples of what I like to call "clergy behaving badly" have similarly undermined confidence in religious leaders and respect for religion in recent years. I have always believed that the staggering decline of religious affiliation in America over the past twenty years can be attributed, at least in part, to irresponsible religious leaders and the damage they have inflicted on their communities. Whether we like to admit it or not, people are always watching what I do, or what I say in public.  

Many years ago, when my children were still quite young, we went to the Blockbuster Video (of blessed memory) on Kinderkamack Road in River Edge. While Shira and I were looking at videos, my children wandered into the "over 21" room, where the adult videos were located. Now being the good father that I am, my first instinct was to run in after them and remove them before they noticed the videos that were found there. But my second instinct was remembering that this venue was popular with many congregants who I regularly ran into while shopping there, congregants who I did not want to see me coming out of that section of the video store. I could argue that I was there for only the purest and most well-intentioned reasons. But ask yourself: what would you have thought if you had been there?

Luckily, while going through these mental gymnastics, my children emerged, with their innocence intact.

Now call me paranoid (go ahead -- I've been called worse), but that kind of appearance can undo years of hard-earned trust and respect.

In Jewish law, there is a concept known as Ma'rit Ayin (literally “the appearance to the eye") that teaches us that we are forbidden to give the impression that we are doing something wrong, especially when it may influence others to sin as well. Less well known is the term Chashad (suspicion), the prohibition of causing others to suspect you of wrongdoing, even when such suspicion will not cause others to sin. While Ma'rit Ayin is the more serious infraction, Chashad reminds us that the mere appearance of impropriety is also forbidden.

I have found that in my personal life as well as my professional life, these two concepts keep me grounded and aware. They remind me that while I might like to think of myself as an independent actor, answerable only to myself, my family, and God, the truth is that I am also accountable to you, the members of the community who look to me for religious guidance. I’m even accountable to strangers who simply know that I am the Rabbi of a congregation in Bergen County, who will, whether I like it or not, whether you like it or not, whether it is fair, or unfair, make judgements based on what I say and do in public.

Years ago, when I was in the Navy, they taught us that if you don't want the responsibilities, don't accept the promotion. I've often thought about the wisdom encapsulated in that simple statement. Not everyone is prepared to assume the responsibilities of being an officer in our military. But if you want those bars, you need to wear the uniform and all that comes with it proudly. The same can be said for any religious leader that hopes to inspire their community.

The same can also be said for our elected officials serving at the local, state or federal level. So here is some unsolicited advice for them. Learn from these Jewish principles. It is your responsibility to go out of your way to avoid even the appearance of impropriety, and questionable behavior. It's a big responsibility, but you signed up for it.

Such righteous conduct will not guarantee our vote, but it will guarantee our respect and gratitude.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus Was Not A Palestinian

Jim Harbaugh Is No Hero

Now We Know